After a full day of traveling, Craig and I arrive in Ramstein on Wednesday around 11 a.m. We left Atlanta on Tuesday at 10:00 am and flew to Baltimore. Once in Baltimore, we met up with my friend from Samford Aileen Pierson. It was so nice to see Aileen since I had not seen her in several months. Plus, she had to work that afternoon so we really appreciated her coming out before work! After catching up with Aileen, Craig and I checked in for our flight to Ramstein. We spent the rest of the afternoon in the USO making our last few phone calls and emailing our friends before we left the states. Craig and I boarded the massive MD-11 that took us over to Ramstein around 7:45 p.m. The majority of people on the plane were soldiers headed to the Middle East for deployments, but there were several of military family's and even a family going into the C-21 squadron with us (they had two kids). The take off was a little unnerving, but thankfully, we got off the ground and began our flight to Ramstein. The flight was about 7 hours long. Shortly after take off, Craig fell asleep and slept the entire flight. I was not as lucky! I slept off and on through out the flight, and was ready to get off that plane once we landed!
In Ramstein, we were greeted by our sponsor and several pilots from the C-21 squadron. It turns out we knew our sponsor from Columbus and all the other guys were incredibly welcoming. All the pilots and their families seem like a lot fun and we are really looking forward to getting to know them better. We ate lunch with our sponsor and some of the pilots in the BX food court. This food court could rival any mall food court in the States. Plus, the BX is a mall like building on base that has a hotel attached to it and many other stores and restaurants. After lunch we got Craig's drivers license and took a quick tour of the base. At this time we were ready to check in to our TLF and I was pretty tired. Our TLF is in Landstuhl on another military base about 10 minutes away from base. The town of Landstuhl is a picturesque German village. We are looking forward to exploring it along with all the other German villages more. The TLF we are staying in is really nice with a living room, full kitchen, and bedroom. As soon as I laid on the bed, I passed out! We both ended up sleeping for an hour or so.
That evening we met up with our friend from Columbus who showed us around the area and took us to many of the local stores. The German grocery store we went to was really interesting and we purchased some German chocolate and cereal for the morning. We ate dinner at this really good restaurant with a tennis club. We ate outside and the views were beautiful! I wish I would have taken a picture, but I am sure we will got back! We didn't finish dinner until around 9:00pm and it was still light outside!
Today, Craig is improcessing into the base and I enjoyed a nice run around the base. This afternoon we will setup a local bank account, get cell phones (hopefully), and start house hunting. I will continue to post updates as we get settled in Germany!
Love, Craig and Jenna

I totally remember walking around Prague around 9pm and it still being light out! It's so crazy! Love your blog and I can't wait for more posts!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you made it to Germany! I LOVE your blog! I'm so excited to follow your adventures in Europe. Please post pictures of everything :) I loved seeing you & Craig at the airport. It was just the best! I'm so excited & happy for you as you start this new, exciting chapter of your life together!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you and Craig made it to Germany safely! I can't wait to hear about all of the cool things you get to see and experience! Good luck with getting everything set up and take tons of pictures!
ReplyDelete